FOCUS Women In Leadership
Offered each spring and fall, the FOCUS Women In Leadership (WIL) program offers the opportunity to refine your personal, professional and civic leadership competencies, learn about the St. Louis community, and connect with other women from diverse backgrounds.
Along the way, you’ll hone your facilitation, negotiation, and communication skills, explore issues facing our region, and tap into resources to become a more effective leader.
Upon graduation, you’ll also become part of the network of more than 10,000 FOCUS program alumni.
Who Should Apply
Women In Leadership is open to women of all ages with a desire to strengthen their leadership skills and effectiveness. Ideal candidates include mid-level managers, entrepreneurs and community leaders.
The spring cohort is open to women from all backgrounds and sectors; however, women in the science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) fields are strongly encouraged to apply.
What to Expect
Program days include a mix of speakers, interviews with regional leaders, small-group discussion, interactive exercises and reflection activities. Led by FOCUS’ experienced facilitators, subject-matter experts and regional leaders, the curriculum is based on the following principles:
- Emphasis on inquiry and experiential learning
- Using the community as a classroom
- Providing opportunities for participants to assess leadership competencies and develop strategies for improvement
- Valuing the critical role of diversity and inclusion in leadership training
While content and speakers are updated to meet the unique needs of each cohort, each session typically covers:
- Understanding Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
- Leveraging Your Strengths & Emotional Intelligence
- Personal Brand Management
- Negotiation Strategies
- Field Days – Exploring Leadership Across Sectors
In addition, participants engage in a small-group Capstone Project and a self-directed Personal Leadership Project.
Ready to Take the Next Step?
Sign up to be notified when applications open for our next cohort!Sign Up