Frequently Asked Questions
Emerging Leaders is designed for professionals in the early stages of their careers. If you fall slightly outside the age range but feel that this program would still be valuable to your development, we encourage you to apply. If you’re further along in your career, we recommend you consider one of our other leadership programs, such as Leadership St. Louis, Coro Women In Leadership or FOCUS Impact Fellows.
In Fall 2018, FOCUS launched an expanded format for the Emerging Leaders program, offering participants a total of 40 civic leadership development hours.
The program opens with a two-day opening retreat, followed by two evening sessions, two day-time sessions, a group project and graduation.
View the Spring 2021 Program Schedule.
While content is continually updated for relevance and to meet the needs of the class, each cohort covers the following topics:
- Understanding Self and Leadership: This covers an in-depth analysis of each participant’s personality type, with practical applications for more effective networking, relationship-building, and strengthening leadership skills.
- Defining Your Personal Brand: Personal Branding is more than you think. This session will cover personal branding, which encompasses your online presence and personality as well as first impressions and behavior in both your personal and professional life.
- Civic Minded Leadership: This topic covers some of the intricacies of St. Louis’ unique landscape, both geographically and politically, and current regional hot topics. Participants will also have a chance to gain strategies for building stronger communities.
- Developing Leadership/Executive Presence: This topic introduces how to develop leadership competencies through the lens of emotional intelligence and effective communication.
- Diversity and Cultural Awareness: This session aims to examine the participant’s assumptions and biases, and ties those ideas back to best organizational practices.
- Finding your WHY as a Leader: This session will examine values-based leadership and structure for identifying passion and service to others, giving participants an understanding of ways to pursue these aspirations while advancing their career.
Sessions frequently include a mix of speakers, interviews with regional leaders, small-group discussion, interactive exercises and reflection activities.
Upon graduation, you’ll become part of an extensive network of FOCUS program alumni across the St. Louis region (and around the country). FOCUS alumni events are held throughout the year, including alumni dinners, networking opportunities, educational programs and volunteer opportunities. You can also stay engaged by becoming a member of FOCUS St. Louis.
Yes! If you know someone who could benefit from the Emerging Leaders experience, you’re welcome to submit a nomination. All prospective participants must still complete an application by the session deadline.
“Emerging Leaders provided me with a group of diverse folks who just GET IT! Such a synergy came from this group and I’m excited to see the connections I made flourish!”
Agency Relations Manager, St. Louis Area Foodbank
Emerging Leaders Fall 2016