FOCUS St. Louis to host An Evening of Learning
Wednesday, November 5, 2014
Practical Solutions for Positive Change in the Aftermath of Ferguson – Nov. 17, 2014
Presented by FOCUS St. Louis® and the Missouri History Museum
ST. LOUIS, MO – In 2001, a FOCUS St. Louis task force of 30 citizens studied the state of racial equality in the St. Louis region over the course of an 18-month period. The task force's report found that while individual attitudes toward race had improved substantially, there had only been marginal institutional progress. In addition, the group looked at the intersection of race and education, economic development, housing and civic engagement.
In the aftermath of Ferguson, the report remains as relevant today as it was more than a decade ago. To this end, FOCUS St. Louis, in partnership with the Missouri History Museum, will host An Evening of Learning, a symposium centered on these issues. The original report will be the road map for the evening to guide participants in a dialogue focused on solutions for the St. Louis community, focusing on the areas of education, community development and civic engagement.
When: Monday, Nov. 17, 2014
Where: Missouri History Museum, 5700 Lindell Blvd.
Time: 5:00-9:00 p.m.
Cost: Free to public, registration is required
Panelists & Facilitators to include (subject to change):
· Malik Ahmed, CEO, Better Family Life
· Karen Aroesty, Regional Director, Anti-Defamation League –
· Rebeccah Bennett, Founder and Principal, Emerging Wisdom LLC and
· Rev. Traci Blackmon, Pastor, Christ the King
· Maida Coleman, Director of Civic Engagement, St. LOuis
· Pat Cox, Co-Founder, Women’s Group on Race Relations
· Scott Hippert, CEO, Parents as Teachers
· Chris Krehmeyer, Executive Director, Beyond Housing
· JB Kwon, Ph.D., Assistant Professor of Anthropology, Webster University
· Frances Levin, Missouri History Museum
· Rod Nunn, Interim President, St. Louis Community College – Forest Park
· Julie Stone, Director Local Government Partnership, East-West Gateway
· Dr. Hank Webber, Exec. Vice Chancellor for Administration & Professor of Practice, Washington University
· Rev. Starsky Wilson, CEO, Deaconess Foundation
· Rebecca Zoll, Executive Director, North County Incorporated
Additional speakers to be confirmed - visit www.focus-stl.org/event/EveningofLearning for more details.